Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The sad story

The photography seminar was a concentrated informational dump for mostly two hours for the first half session. It was all good but I was so tired from Colorado I toyed with leaving early. My mind started justifying all the reasons why I could. I am so glad I stayed. Here's what's up.

The speaker took us through inspirational footage after the "burn out" he was experiencing.
They shot just ordinary, kick back no pressure stuff with unique twists. Then he announced to the audience "if anyone is pregnant in the crowd, the next segment has some emotionally charged scenes you might not want to see." WHAT was coming........

An adorable photographer on the video, about 30ish starts her story how she got a call at the end of a busy day from the hospital. The couple wants her right away, they had seen her pictures all over the walls and loved her work. The photographer explained she had kids' obligations that evening but would come first thing tomorrow morning. The reply was "it would be too late." She took two assistance and went right away. Their newborn little boy, Cameron was dying. He looked perfectly healthy but if the tiny tubes were removed he would not live. They photographed the baby with the couple for all the shots they could think of for 25 minutes. The photographer was aware of the fact that if she stopped the little one's time would be over. What a thought. Knowing she was finished, she left the two alone and would come back. They wanted pictures saying goodbye to their son, the last moments after he died.
They waited forty-five minutes until a nurse came out with the reddest puffest eyes and knew Cameron had indeed died, as they entered the room the peace that surrounded them was amazing. All other pictures before didn't compare to the beauty of love and acceptance with death that these gentle passionate pictures and moments held.

The photographer knew they could only give this as a gift from their hearts. They put together a cd for them. When the couple came back for the pictures, the event became real again, they could tangibly hold a picture and see Camon for a healing, for some healing. These ladies realized that a lot of other children didn't have this last memory in beautiful pictures and decided to call a new organization "now I lay me down to sleep." honestly, I can't say that name without tearing up. I can't imagine going through this sad goodbye as a couple.

The web site is http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/ I haven't checked it out yet. I was just getting my tea, (comfort drink) and going to the sight. I got a call today from a new mom, Ericka Gerber's little Quinn for newborn pictures. I wanted to tell her to hold him so tight and celebrate his little breathes of life, you know, but of course I didn't. She was celebrating him without saddness. So that's why I blogged about it,..... thanks. I am considering doing this if there's a partner in the area that we could share availability with. Kait said she was in. Probably all you med professionals out there deal with much more than this on a daily basis, but it's still tender.
glad to be home, Annette



6 comments:

Blessed By Four said...

annette this is something I can see you doing and doing well! You have such a heart for the perfect moment picture...and this is it!

Rebekah said...

I am so touched by that story. I am currently34 weeks pregnant so the story hits close to home. How special that she was able to capture those moments for the parents. How priceless. What a wonderful ministry that would be. Thanks for sharing Annette.

Anonymous said...

Hey mom, Oh- I am crying so much right now. This brings back special memories. I do not talk about it much, but I use to photograph little ones after they passed in the hospital for the families. I would also dress them in angel clothing before the shots. Oh, the life of a nurse, huh?!
Anyway, if I lived closer I might be your perfect teammate eh :). Love ya, J

Mindy said...

Wow, there are hardly words! What a beautiful way to remember these precious babies. I visited the site and it is just amazing. It makes me so thankful for my two healthy boys! I will be holding Levi extra tight tonight. Thanks for sharing this website and the story.

Bry&Ash said...

Wow, Mom. Thanks for sharing that, it was very powerful. Their website is beautiful too. I really hope this is something you can do, I think it would be an amazing way to use your gifts!

Love,
Ash

Annette Bahler said...

--- thanks
-Heather thanks for thinking I actually could, -Rebekah almost due, I'm so excited - Jenny, I cried too because I remembered Makail and missed his little smile, -and Minders! thanks for the extra hug from all of us to them. as usual, ladies unite so well

love Annette