Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I'm pouting.......

I've finally got a few pictures to share!!! But alas, Ed is out of town with all my downloaded pictures on his lap top. Plus, you know, talking about the whole affair of India with Ed is being missed, little incidents that need massaged with more words. So thanks once again for being the friend in the night where I can type and be heard.

- Of course, it's almost 2:30 a.m. I am pretty sure I should be sleeping, but I can't figure out which space of time I am inhabiting yet.

I do know that I've left my normal stomach somewhere back in India. -O.K. so that's the last of my pouting.

It is enough to say... India has much to teach us.

I would like to share one little story before I fall asleep, that I am still pondering:

On an early morning walk with Ed, I glanced over to see a really bad smelling turned over trash bin, but also sitting beside it was a 20ish looking young man, I had seen so many beggars by this time, wasn't this just another one? I don't think so, this was different, he made no attempt to beg or even connect, he was just surrounded by a deep loneliness that I still can't shake. His stature lent to a thousand words, sermons I had not heard before. I thought I knew desolate, but his tired face gave it an entirely new meaning.
I scrambled my brain for a quick fix, you know, the kind America tries to force in a small span of time, because of the freedom we feel and the aboundant love (we should possess anyway). but all my heart was silence by this man that accepted no answers. There was a clear understanding of not being able to reach him in a land I'd never known,...... but he was so young, and actually attractive, I know, why should that matter, but possibilities that all of us seek at that age, plans, life, purpose. these thoughts were such a stark contrast to what this man didn't have. I just kept walking and hurt about the whole thing.
Clint explained later when I asked what could be done. He's an "untouchable" some Indians after being in the area with them are suppose to go and cleanse themselves in a temple. What?????
This man is to accept his lot, being born into it, if their parents were untouchables, then he would be, something about the orgins not being accepted if they are a mixed race. I had heard enough, a whole life wasted, what God given talents, never sought out, days full of no future. And this is where I leave it, for some reason, his sermon of silent mourning is still teaching me. It's my biggest lesson in India, not at all figured out yet, but still pondering. If nothing else the good Samaritans and Lazarus, and the beggar all became clearer in context.



Until later- hopefully when there's more time and pictures.

I intend to enjoy everyone elses amazing blogs. Thanks for all the stories of couples meeting, babies coming into the world and everyday life shared together! love you, Annette


4 comments:

Bry&Ash said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bry&Ash said...

Thanks for the story and thoughts...I'm excited to see the rest of the pictures and hear more about the experience.
Love you.
Ash

Mindy said...

That story just choked me up...I really can't imagine a life like that man's. People like him really put life into perspective for me and remind me of how blessed I am and I need to be more thankful for all the God has given me.

I can't wait to see more pictures from your trip! Glad you are home safely!

Annette Bahler said...

minders,
thanks for sharing your labor story... I enjoyed it so much!

we are blessed.

Ash- how did your yard work go?